10th June 2020
What is diabetes? Watch this video to find out more:
Healthy lifestyle choices can reduce your risk of Type 2 diabetes by 58%
Weight management – a higher body weight causes your insulin to perform less effectively. This means that sugar from foods cannot be easily converted into energy we need.
A few simple things you can do:
- Skip sugary drinks – empty calories and no real nutritional value;
- Control your portion size – ensure that you get enough energy without over-filling and eat variety of foods (we need it all!);
- Fill up with fibre – fibre helps to feel fuller for longer so you don’t overeat; 5 a day of fruit and vegs, wholegrain products, pulses;
- Choose lean meat – bake instead of frying, steam instead of boiling;
- Stay hydrated – water helps to stop overeating.
Staying active helps to maintain healthy weight and overall good health; both physically and psychologically.
- Strengthens bones and joints
- Helps with weight loss
- Reduces stress
- Improves sleep
- Relieves symptoms of depression
The effect of smoking on the arteries in our bodies is very similar to the effects of high levels of glucose in blood. Both cause damage to the arteries, increasing the likelihood of fatty deposits; this narrows the arteries, making it difficult for blood to flow through. Someone with diabetes is already more likely to have high cholesterol and high blood pressure, which also cause arteries to narrow, making it all worse. Smoking in some cases can double the likelihood of a person with Type 2 diabetes developing heart disease, stroke or circulation problems.
Alcohol can contain a lot of empty calories, which can lead to weight gain. To help keep health risks from alcohol at a low level, it’s safest not to regularly drink more than 14 units a week. In a nut shell, remember that a lot of heavy drinking can lead to raised blood pressure and also it dehydrates your body, preventing you from sleeping properly. In the long term, alcohol can also lead to certain cancers and heart disease.
If you think you may be at risk of diabetes and would like help to make lifestyle changes, we can help you to Move More, Manage Your Weight and Be Smoke Free.